A good evening skincare routine is essential to keeping your skin clear and making sure that your skin is the best possible base for your makeup. I have slightly dry skin, with a tendency for oiliness around my t-zone. I also find my skin can be quite sensitive so I try to stay away from anything harsh or soap-based. So here are the products I use in my evening routine.
- I start by taking off any makeup either using a cleansing water or oil, depending on what makeup I have on. Currently I'm using Clarins Water Comfort One-Step Cleanser with Peach Essential Water, I absolutely love the smell and I find it does a good job of removing my makeup without irritating my sensitive skin. I will admit I am thinking of changing it either for Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water or Bioderma Crealine H2O because I have heard so many good things about them. Thoughts? The cleansing oil I use at the moment is L'Oreal Paris Skin Perfection Cleansing Oil, which has managed to get rid of my most stubborn waterproof products and is really good if my skin needs some extra moisture, I can't recommend cleansing oils enough if you have difficult skin.
- Once I have removed my makeup I like to properly cleanse using Rituals Sensational Soft Cleanser. This starts off as a thick gel which you massage onto dry skin and then wash off with lukewarm water. It's a lovely consistency which turns milky when you add water and has a very slight herby smell. I have quite sensitive skin and this hasn't troubled me at all, plus it makes my skin feel gorgeously soft.
- Twice a week I follow my cleanser with Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant (you can use it everyday but I'm a little lazy and find my skin doesn't need it that often anymore). It comes in a powder which you mix with a little water which turns is into a fine paste. At first it doesn't really feel like your typical exfoliator, there is no grainy or abrasive feel, but it does feel lovely on your skin and once you wash it off it leaves your skin feeling soft and clean. This was particularly good during my teenage years when I had very bad skin.
- I used to think that toners were a little bit pointless but can confirm I have been proven totally wrong by Caudalie Beauty Elixir. I have been using it for quite a while now and can really tell if I forget to use it for a few days. It makes my skin radiant and seems to really help my serum and moisturiser be absorbed. It also smells lovely and the nozzle (I guess that's what you call it!?) makes it a really fine mist which spreads evenly over your face, I find that a lot of spray toners leave heavy drops on your face and you have to pat them in a little, not so with Beauty Elixir!
- Then I put on my serum, I use Rituals Intense Moisture Serum and I normally wait for it to be absorbed into my skin by brushing my teeth. Since I've started using it I've noticed that foundation blends much more easily into my skin and I'm not nearly as oily in my t-zone. Hooray!
- I set my serum with a moisturiser but at the moment I'm in between moisturisers, so I'm living off my hoard of samples! I used to use The Body Shop's Aloe Soothing Night Cream but I found it made my skin a little oily and it felt a little heavy. If you have any suggestions for replacements I'd love to hear them!
- I finish off with bareMinerals Pure Transformation Night Treatment, which I reviewed in this post and which I highly recommend, especially if you are trying to tighten your pores. I find it succeeds in making my pores smaller without drying my skin out. Fantastic stuff!
Wow! That was a very long post. It normally takes me about five minutes to do my routine (if I'm exfoliating) so it's definitely worth it!
Do you use any of these products or have any recommendations?
Sasha Monday x